Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Project Simplify, Week 1: Kid's Stuff

I'm not shocked that Week 1 for Project Simplify (http://simplemom.net/project-simplify-2012/) came and went and I did not have time to write a blog post. I was surprised that I even got the task done considering we were all hit with a nasty stomach bug that lingered for a few day and as soon as that left Christopher got a nasty cold which caused him to be very clingy, a little whiny in need of extra loving. This being said I was thankful the project for week 1 was kids stuff.

Due to only having one child, who is only a year old, I knew that this week would be easy. We haven't accumulated a ton of stuff that needed to be gone through and given away and all of his things are already pretty organized. I knew going into this task that I wanted to tackle three main areas; his nursery, his playroom and the toys that are in the living room.

1. His nursery; My goal for this room was to 1. Go through his closet and put away any clothes that were too small for him (since I already do this every few months I knew that it wouldn't be a big task, just hard to put those cute little outfits away!) and 2. Make sure that all the "infant" toys were put in the totes in his room. As he's gotten bigger we've tried to move anything baby into the nursery that way it will be stocked for our next little bundle of joy. I am thankful that we have a big enough nursery to do this and don't need to store everything in the basement with the exception of some bigger items (swing, activity gym, vibrating chair, bumbo seat, etc.). Since I really didn't do much in this room I just took pictures as I went:


Two of the toy totes in his room filled with stuffed animals, teethers, rattles, etc.
Inside our changing table (Diapers, wipes, ointments, crib sheets, mattress pads, pack n' play sheets and boppy covers).
Pile of clothes to go downstairs :(
Christopher's closet!! Up top is blankets and 24 month clothes.Hanging is 12, 12-18, 18 and 18-24 month clothes. On the shelf is some toys and portable high chair. In the drawers is onesies, pajamas, pants, socks and hats/gloves. And then his shoe rack (can you tell Mommy loves shoes?) I love that he is walking and can wear shoes more now!! I also love his huge closet. We didn't get him a dresser for his nursery because we mostly just hang everything up, some much easier!
Nursery, I would eventually like to add a tree (painted/decal) stemming from the corner and have the branches be shelves.
Nursery, yes I am the crazy mother who hang painted those letters white and then painted spots on them to make them look like cows. Hard work  but the end result looks great!
Changing table and cubbies where we keep books, burp clothes, stuffed animals, toys, etc.
His little rocker that family friends got and stained to match the furniture in his room.
2. His playroom; My goal for this room was to label the bins that hold toys so that when Christopher gets a little older he can help Daddy and Mommy clean up. Well, maybe :) Since we just finished this room a couple months ago it really didn't need anything else done at the moment. Basically I just took pictures of the toys, re-sized them on the computer, printed them out and laminated them. Then I used velcro dots to stick them on the bins.
Block center with different blocks, cars and tools.
Music Center on left and part of library on right.
Other side of library, large magnetic board and table!

Double closets! We store lots of his toys in here and then rotate them out so he doesn't get bored.
Library, the only thing we have to add is a stuffed animal hammock above the chair.

Right side of closet before
Right side of closet after, with labels
Right side of closet after, with labels.
Left side of closet, before
Left side of the closet after, with labels
Left side after, with labels
Christopher had fun helping Mommy label!
Looking through all the labels.
3. Living room; My goal for this room was to go through the toys, take any "infant" toys up to the nursery and choose a few to go up in the playroom closet to be switched out later.
Toys! Got rid of a few of the "bigger items" to switch out every other week/month. Have two cloth bins on bookshelf that hold the rest of the toys.
Wagon full of toys to take upstairs. Didn't get an "after" picture of the living room because the only time it is clean is after Christopher goes to bed :)
I was excited to get all this done and by the end even had a few things to pass on or sell on the online yardsale. I definitely love to organize and find it much easier to keep things clean around the house. Excited for week #2 to conquer the pantry/fridge!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I love his little rocking chair and the giant magnet board : )

    ReplyDelete